Field and CPL Updates
The 'put-in' for the WAIS Divide camp was delayed by 20 days due to poor weather and issues associated with LC-130 landings at the new site. The camp is being setup. The skiway is marked and groomed, and up to 4 flights a day are being scheduled. If the weather holds so we can get the flights in, we will end the season back on track. Ken Taylor and Mark Twickler sampled a 3m snow pit at the main drill site and converted it to a backlit snow pit to expose the stratigraphy. This was a critical step that had to be done before the near surface is affected by the camp and construction activities. The recovery of a 130m and 30m core from the main drill site has been postponed until later in the season to expedite the construction of the drilling shelter. Delaying the shallow coring has a negligible effect on the science and benefits the logistics, which are very stressed because of the delayed put-in.